Product: Wheat Belly
Subject: Wheat Belly Diet Book
Author: William Davis
Publisher: Rodale Books
Length: 304 Pages
Price: $8.75 ( Retail )
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon.com
Our Rating: 9 out of 10
Product Overview – Wheat Belly Diet Book
William Davis is an expert Cardiologist who is based in Milwaukee, America. He has written several health books and is well known for his view on “modern Wheat” which he classes as the perfect chronic poison. Within a month of the book being published it was on the list of New York Times Bestseller’s and went on to be nominated for the ‘Goodreads Choice Awards Best Food & Cookbooks’.
Not afraid to make a stand, Dr Davis has written other controversial books such as Grain Brain but this book is a little different, this book teaches us to throw out everything that our government has ever taught us about the basics of healthy eating.
The book is not just another diet book, it goes into full detail about how wheat has changed over the decades from being this natural crop free of pesticides that we used to have in the fifties and sixties to the genetically modified and chemically altered product that we are so used to purchasing today.
Throughout the book you will learn about wheat and how today it has become so addictive and poisonous that it causes your blood sugar levels to spike uncontrollably, giving you large highs which are followed up by very lethargic lows. Despite covering an array of serious subjects and giving some complex information, Dr Davis makes the time to implant some wit into the book as well, for example in his chapter titles such as ‘Bagel Face’.
Dr Davis focuses on so many areas throughout the contents of this book from how modern wheat has been created and the processes that were involved, the properties of modern wheat and how they are cause us to be addicted. What wheat is doing to our intestines and how that can cause Coeliac disease as well as a number of other problems.
There is a section on the rise of insulin and how with time our bodies are becoming immune to it, he talks in detail about the PH content of our stomach and the disruption as well as harm that putting chemically changed wheat into our systems is causing.
It is not always simple to see a solution to the problems of cutting something out of your diet but all of this has been thought about and documented at the end of the book as well, there is even a section of recipes to make your first steps at being wheat free even easier.
The Good & The Bad
- The level of research that has been carried out is truly outstanding as well as shocking, if you even make a small change to your diet you should notice changes in your health, your weight, the complexion of your skin and the feeling that you no longer constantly want to snack between every meal.
- This is not just a Wheat Belly diet book, this is so much more than that. The book is also a complete package, it gives you the information that you want to know, provides the evidence and then gets you coming back for more.
- The recipes at the back are an excellent addition and should form the basis of many a meal.
- There are certain ethical issues that get raised, the fact that the huge population that the earth has today is completely unsustainable without wheat, but these issues are never addressed just merely pointed out.
- Other issues are that us as readers are all at different financial crossroads in our lives, by following all the advice that is pertained within the pages of this book our food bills will increase a lot more than we may expect or be able to manage, it may be that you need to start of slowly and build it up over time as you situation changes?
Who is This Book For?
In America alone over 200 million people are consuming wheat, so whether you feel in perfect health or feel like you are suffering from wheat belly you have something to gain from reading Dr Davis’s account.
It is also a well-known fact that wheat is related to weight gain as it is packed with calories so if you are overweight then this book is also for you as it has a whole section on how wheat makes you snack between meals, by cutting out the wheat you cut out your need to snack, which in turn will reduce your calorie intake.
‘Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health’ takes the time to go beyond what you would normally find in a health book, it gives you information if you suffer from diabetes, acne, rheumatoid arthritis, skin conditions or general sluggishness.
Our Final Take on The Book
Overall I found the book to be incredibly informative, there are a lot of recipes that are easy to follow and the research is well documented, you can see by reading through the other reviews that are available online, people who have cut wheat out of their diet have started to feel healthier within a few days.
You feel safe when you read the book that the information you are given is correct, everything is backed up with the scientific findings to ensure you get the complete picture rather than just another Wheat Belly diet book.
The book does not imply the use of any drugs, nor does it make money for any pharmaceutical company, it merely discusses a simple change that every one of us could make to our diet. The book is also available in an Audio format should you wish to listen instead of read. Whatever decisions you take after reading the book will be up to you, but at least you will have the facts to make some informed choices with your lifestyle.