People based in the Mediterranean tend to keep matters rather ‘light’ when it comes to breakfast. It’s still an important daily meal to them but it tends to be a stepping stone to their first ‘real meal’ of the day – lunch!
The following are a couple of tasty and popular breakfast Mediterranean diet recipes that we’ve been recommended. They are relatively easy to prepare and suitable for successful weight loss.
Looking to lose that weight and improve your metabolic health? Check out our review of the Fat Diminisher System HERE
1) Vegetable Mediterranean Omelette
In Mediterranean areas the egg tends to be a rather popular food due to them being readily available. It doesn’t matter where in the world you live – eggs will always be a great source of protein and vitamins ( containing the vitamins A, D, and B-12 ).
I actually tried this recipe out about a week ago but I didn’t really have that many vegetables at hand. I had a quick dive into my dark kitchen areas and came up with mushrooms, broccoli, and spinach to bump things up!
It worked out well!
Remember – eggs are high in cholesterol so always keep consumption in moderation especially when losing weight!
This recipe is set up to feed about 4 people so use the ingredients as a guideline ( depending on the amount of people you want to serve! ).
- A splash of olive oil
- Sliced fresh fennel cut into thin strips ( about two cup fulls )
- 1 fresh tomato ( cut into small pieces )
- Approximately 10 pitted green olives thinly chopped
- 6 large size eggs
- A sprinkle of salt ( no more than 1/4 of a teaspoon )
- A sprinkle of pepper ( no more than 1/2 a teaspoon )
- About a half cup measuring of crumbled goat’s cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, basil, or parsley
From here it’s pretty easy to make as long as you have an ovenproof skillet handy. Simply…
– Preheat the oven ( I had it preheated at 325 degrees but you can probably get away with a slightly lower heat! ).
– Pour the olive oil into the skillet and heat over a medium flame.
– Throw in the Fennel and fry until it turns soft.
– Add the olives and tomato and fry for a further 2 minutes.
– Crack the eggs into a bowl then add the salt and pepper to them. Whisk until smooth in texture.
– Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet and stir in gently.
– Gently crumble the cheese over the top of omelette mix in the skillet
– Place skillet in the oven and bake for approximately 5 minutes.
– When eggs look cooked through bring the skillet out of the oven and sprinkle with the dill, parsley or basil.
2) Mediterranean Avocado Toast
Now I have to admit that I am not really the biggest fan of Avocados but this was surprisingly tasty!
One tip I should mention before starting is to pick a bread that is whole grain – it may seem obvious but you’d be surprised at the amount of people that will rush out and buy the cheapest white bread available!
Here’s what you’ll need for tasty Avocado Toast:
- 2 Avocados ( make sure they are firm and not too ripe with stones removed and skin peeled )
- 80 grams of crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of chopped mint
- Half a fresh lemon
- 4 slices of bread ( wholegrain if possible! )
I didn’t actually make this recipe myself – my partner did ( with me peering casually over her shoulder! ). It’s again a very easy procedure…
– Mash up the avocados in a bowl of suitable size.
– Squeeze the lemon into the avocado and add the mint and mix gently
– Add salt and pepper if you feel like it!
– Gently toast the bread slices until golden brown
– Spread the avocado mix onto each slice of bread
– Crumble the feta over each slice of toast
The person that handed me this recipe did mention that this toast recipe goes really well with a poached egg or ham on the side – just an afterthought!
Mediterranean Diet Breakfast Food
If the two awesome recipes above were not awesome enough for you we’ve included this Mediterranean diet breakfast food section to the article. What could be better than creating our own unique breakfast recipes?
1) Yogurt & Cheese
Yogurt is always a big hit in Mediterranean countries so look for a few plain yogurt varieties ( Greek yogurt would be the perfect choice here! ). Plain yogurt has a low sugar content so it’s much better for a weight loss program.
If you decide to also go down the cheese route look for something like ricotta as it makes a beautiful breakfast spread for toast ( or whole grain bagels! ).
Fruit is a brilliant ingredient for a high variety of Mediterranean breakfasts. My personal favorite is apple with a small amount of cheese.
The Mediterraneans tend to opt for fruit as a natural sweetener to their foods – nectarines, peaches, apricots, citrus fruits and dates all work well for this ( and they are great for adding to plain yogurt! ).
3) Vegetable Choices
Mediterranean breakfasts work well with sautéd zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms or artichokes ( use olive oil ). If you feel that your vegetable dishes are a bit plain try adding a few herbs to zing it up a bit – basil, thyme, oregano or rosemary.
Easy Breakfast Mediterranean Diet Recipes
Regulars to this site will know that I am a BIG fan of the ‘breakfast is the most important meal of the day’ routine. As you can see, creating a healthy and well balanced Mediterranean breakfast is simple enough.
Let’s see what recipes you can come up with from the information above ( leave them in the comment section below! ).